Deadline of submission: September 15, 2023
The QCinema International Film Festival is inviting six aspiring and emerging film critics to the first QCinema Critics Lab. Under the guidance of established writers, journalists, film scholars, curators, and film professionals, the Critics Lab will be a space to expand and deepen the current practice of film criticism in the country towards alternative forms of film criticism (including but not limited to podcasts, video essays, long-form reporting, etc.) in the hopes of developing the great Filipino audience.
The QCinema Critics Lab seeks participants who are:
- Between 18 to 30 years old
- Filipino citizens
- Current residents of the Philippines
- Able to participate in English and Filipino (fluency not required)
- Interested in film and film criticism (no prior experience necessary)
- Able to participate during the lab dates (Nov 4 and 11 online, Nov 17 to 20 in-person)
- Application form (including a letter of intent)
- A signed letter of recommendation from a prior employer or professor
- A review of any format about one of the following Filipino short films:
- Links to previously published critical output on film — written, video essay, podcast, or short-form video (i.e. YouTube or TikTok
PARTICIPATION AND OFFER
The QCinema Critics Lab will be held onsite in Quezon City from November 17-20. QCinema will shoulder accommodations (for three nights), travel allowance, and per diem. Festival accreditation will also be provided to all participants of the QCL, allowing them access to all film screenings and festival events throughout the duration of the festival.
To help critics become equipped and independent after the festival, QCIFF will organize up to six meetings with film, publishing, and media professionals to enlighten them about the landscape of filmmaking and film criticism in and out of the country. These expert sessions will be part of the daily meet-up of the program and will be exclusive to those involved in the QCinema Critics Lab.
At the end of the lab, QCinema will be awarding two critics the Alexis Tioseco and Nika Bohinc Award for Film Criticism for the promising work created during the lab.
- Online: Nov 4 and 11
- In-person: Nov 17, 18, 19, 20
All entries must be submitted by Sept 15, 2023 (11:59 PM, Philippine Standard Time).
Announcements will be made between the last week of Sept to the first week of Oct 2023.
For any questions or concerns, please email[email protected].